Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: sealed vs. vented

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by RonSS:
    About the 411......

    Later models used a more normal foam rubber type surround.

    I had mine re-coned at GPA, and the T/S parameters after reconing more closely matched a 416-8B.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bummer. forums

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Really, GP's 411 recone resembles a 416-8B!? Anyone else with a similar issue with 411 recones? I'm plannig on having GP do several 411's and really want the orginal low freq capability of this woofer.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sounds like you're not comparing 'apples to oranges' since the cabs have different Vbs, ergo the larger vented cab will have more box efficiency potential; so to clarify my earlier response, there's a point in cab Vb where there's only some gain in the narrow BW around/at Fb with vented Vs sealed, which can sound very 'one note' on music, etc., that excites the cab, so in this case, sealed is normally preferred in a HIFI
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let me get what you're saying...I built a Sealed speaker to it's OPTIMAL size cabinet. Then I built a Vented speaker to it's OPTIMAL size cabinet...and I found the vented to be more efficient. So what...you're suppose to built a sealed unit to NON -OPTIMAL size so it's as efficient as the Vented speaker. There's engineering and then there's real-world/practical engineering. I prefer the later.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    sealed vs. vented


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I've always understood the efficiency as being for the venting. You sreinverting the phase of the rear wave so there should be a net gain in radiated energy.

    The sealed box does roll off more gradually in the very deep bass.


    So I would think the efficiency argument depends on what frequency you are talking about. Overall output honors though go to the vented box.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Don't worry, Jim.

    I've recently reconed both 411s and 416s with GPA parts, hubcaps and paper plates like they should be. Even weighed the 411s to compare, the old ones were 1/2 gram heavier (dirt and moisture). I'd call both an amazing match even before considering the 30 year production span. When they're in boxes, I'll test them, but I'm not worried in the least. Nor do I have any complaints about the 515s, 421s, etc.

    I'd expect different T-H between cloth-roll 411s and foam, but then Altec changed that, not GPA. I'm no foam-lover, but consider it best here, the cloth-rolls just won't hold up. I'll bet most any still in use with cloth have wornout spiders and rubbing coils. In a mag-down position, a good spider (411) will still maintain a flat profile even if the surround's gone. They just can't do it forever.

  6. #16
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's a useful resource on the subject;

    http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bfish,

    Thanks for the info on the 411 recones. I have a couple in 620 cabs and they play great (and low). If they were more like 416-8B's I think it would be noticeable.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MIkeInNH:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Sounds like you're not comparing 'apples to oranges'........
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Let me get what you're saying...I built a Sealed speaker to it's OPTIMAL size cabinet. Then I built a Vented speaker to it's OPTIMAL size cabinet...and I found the vented to be more efficient. So what...you're suppose to built a sealed unit to NON -OPTIMAL size so it's as efficient as the Vented speaker. There's engineering and then there's real-world/practical engineering. I prefer the later.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    Hmm, that should read: "not comparing apples to apples.........".

    Hmm, 'optimal' is application dependent and there's situations where a large sealed alignment would be better than if vented due to its slower roll off slope with its greater efficiency down low WRT a vented alignment, but I understand and agree with your point that a T/S max flat vented alignment will have much more LF gain BW than a sealed one, though as I noted, the cab size required is much larger. It's not relevant to LeRoy's question though since his volume (Vb) is fixed and optimized for a sealed alignment, which as you've already proven to yourself is too small for either an optimal or even acceptable vented alignment.

    I do too, and I figured I'd posted enough on the subject to make it clear, but apparently not.

    GM

  9. #19
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    since his volume (Vb) is fixed and optimized for a sealed alignment, which as you've already proven to yourself is too small for either an optimal or even acceptable vented alignment.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why would ANYONE build a sealed cabinet that is NOT optimal for a sealed cabinet. That doesn't make sense. What you're saying is you want to build a sealed cabinet to get the maximum efficiency out of it...but you don't care about sound quality?? What kind of engineering is that.

  10. #20
    Inactive Member spam91dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2006
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thanks for all the helpful information!!! Will continue to enjoy the Santiago's as sealed. Might have made a big mistake w/o the input!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.